Everyone’s looking for happiness – from diet plans, to dating sites, to shopping trips – we’re looking everywhere. And yet, happiness-producing things are already all around us… if we can see them.
Romans 14:17 [SEV] “God’s kingdom isn’t about eating and drinking. It is about pleasing God, about living in peace, and about true happiness. All this comes from the Holy Spirit.”
God doesn’t want to snuff out the happiness in your life – He wants to fill your life with it.The instructions we find in the Bible are there to make your life better, and in the end, they produce the kind of happiness that will last.
- What’s your favorite fruit? Think of all the work that goes into producing it – planting, fertilizing, harvesting, etc. Does the fruit come without the work?
- What are some God-adjustments to your life that take effort? What sort of fruit might they produce in your life in the long run? What about in someone else’s life?
Proverbs 17:9 [ESV] “Whoever covers an offense seeks love, but he who repeats a matter separates close friends.”
Resentment & unforgiveness keep you so focused on the bad in your life that you become unable to appreciate the good. God calls you to forgive, not only for the sake of others, but to keep you from nullifying your own happiness.
- Think of someone you know who’s bitter or resentful. Is their “right” to be angry making them happier? Are they pleasant to be around?
- What are some ways their life might change if they let go of old hurts?
- List a few things God has forgiven you for. Did He deserve what you did? Did you deserve His forgiveness? In light of His example, what sorts of things should you be willing to forgive when people do them to you?
3. Prayer Focus
Thank God for how ready He is to forgive you when you mess up. Ask the Holy Spirit to highlight old wounds you still hang onto, and to help you to truly forgive, so you can move forward in uninhibited happiness.
Family with Small Children Discussion Guide
Super Science Sunday!
1. Power Verse
Galatians 6:2 “Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.”
What’s Up: “God gives us friends and family to help us during tough times.”
The kids experienced wacky science experiments in Overflow Kids Church today, all designed to demonstrate Biblical truths. Take a few minutes to discuss the service with your kids. What was their favorite experiment? Did they learn any scientific facts?
2. The Science
These are some of the experiments that were used in the children’s service, and the Biblical points they demonstrated.
Balloon on a bed of nails: A balloon can be popped by a single nail, but not when placed on a bed full of nails. This reminds us that God gives us friends and family to help us during tough times.
- Think of a time when you were helped by someone.
- Have ever been blessed by another person?
- What are some ways that people can really help each other?
Inertia Beads Demonstration: A long string of beads is placed into a cup. A slight tug on one end of the beads creates an inertia reactions that pulls all of the beads quickly out of the cup.
Proverbs 12:26 “One who is righteous is a guide to his neighbor, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.”
- Why is it important to have good friends?
- What are some ways that our friends might encourage us to make poor decisions?
- How can we encourage our friends to be more like Jesus?
4. Prayer Focus
Take a moment to pray for our friends and family members. Ask God to help each one of us to be good friends that point people toward good decisions and ultimately, closer to God.