through some fear-inducing situations. Whether the danger is physical, financial, emotional or anything else, fear can paralyze you, keeping you from doing what God commands. If you want to follow Jesus effectively, you need courage!
Joshua 1:9 [NLT] “This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”Joshua had very real fears in multiple areas – fear of injury, fear of failure, and fear of rejection. God’s command was to rise up and step forward, right into the danger, because He was with Joshua every step of the way.
- What’s an example of something in day to day life that you’ve shied away from because it was intimidating?
- What’s something God wants you to say, do, or stop, which intimidates you? (It can be a one-time thing, or a recurring way of life.) Get specific, what are the fears attached to that thing? Do those fears change God’s expectation for you?
2 Corinthians 4:8-9 [NLT] “We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed.”Sometimes, courage needs a good dose of endurance – not every scary season is a short one. With God’s help, though, you can hang on, and accomplish great things for Him.
- Think back on a time in your life where it was hard to hang on spiritually. How long did it last? What most helped you to hang on?
- What were some good things that came out of it?
- Courage is contagious. What are some ways you could share your story of having courage and hanging on through the fear? Who in your life might benefit from your testimony?
3. Prayer FocusSpend time in prayer calling out specific times when God was with you, whether you realized it or not at the time. Thank Him for each one, and reaffirm your trust that wherever He leads you next, and whatever He asks you to do, He will be with you.
Family with Small Children Discussion Guide
Life is a Highway: Detour
1. Power Verse
John 16:33 “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”What’s up: “Trust In God! Don’t Forget, He Has Never Failed You Yet!” This week, we conclude our series called, “Life Is A Highway”. In this series, we learned that life is a lot like a highway.
2. ActivityOn a sheet of paper, draw two dots with several inches of space between them, and label the dots Home and Store. Ask your kids the following questions:
- Can you draw the best way to get from Home to the Store?
- Why is that the best way? (it’s the shortest)
- Is the shortest way the only way?
- Is the shortest way always the best way?
- What are some reasons to take a different route?
- Can you draw some other ways to get from Home to the Store? (help them draw some curvy lines that connect the two dots)
- What are some things that might force us to take a detour?
- How do we feel when we have to take a detour?
- Does a detour mean that we’ll never accomplish the goal?