Good morning! At least it’s morning when I’m writing this. Tomorrow we will begin our 21 day, church-wide fast. On this the eve of our beginning I thought it might be helpful if I would share some of the things that I am doing and things that I would like to encourage you to do.
First, make a plan. Fasting is not just intended to make you hungry. It is intended to draw you closer to God. Therefore, you need to develop a plan of attack. Let me suggest that your plan include the following:
- An accountability partner. My partner for the fast is Tom Findley. Tom and I will communicate every day during the fast. If I fall one day he will know. Its not necessary that we do exactly the same fast but having someone that holds you accountable will be a huge blessing.
- Determine what you will fast. For me I’m trying to do a total fast for at least the first 10-14 days. I’ve never done a 21 day fast but I intend to. With our Panama trip coming right at the end of our fast I’m going to finish off the last part doing some type of Daniel fast. Also, I’m avoiding television and media.
- Craft your spiritual growth plan. As a group we are using the book of John each day and reading Jentzen Franklin’s book ‘The Fasting Edge”, but you will need more.
- When will your prayer time be each day?
- What specifically will you pray about?
Let me suggest that you follow along with what I’m doing…
- Week 1 – I’m focusing on me and my family. I’m praying that God will draw all of us (praying by name for each person) closer to him.
- Week 2 – I’m focusing on you (the church) for the needs that I am aware of in your lives.
- Week 3 – I’m focusing on the unsaved. How do we reach them? What methods does God have for us? Where are the resources we need?
Each day during the week the staff and I will be praying over the noon hour in the sanctuary and we would love for as many of you as can to join us.
Also, on Friday and Saturday evenings during the fast we will be having a prayer time in the sanctuary. That’s the 3rd & 4th, the 10th & 11th and the 17th & 18th. These will be from 6-7PM each evening.
There will be more to come so stay tuned. I am excited to hear the reports of all that God does in our hearts over the next 21 days and all of the ministry that launches from these changes!